ABOUT THE SPORT
Practising martial arts is an excellent form of exercise and a great way to learn self-defence tactics. You can also gain self-confidence and learn discipline.
You can start at beginner levels for all martial arts. With experience, you can enter competitions.
All martial arts have a professional level and judo, karate, and taekwondo are in the Olympics.
There is a huge range of martial arts out there. Here are a few of the biggest:
- Karate: From Okinawa. Based around striking your opponent with your hands.
- Judo: From Japan. Based around grappling and throwing your opponent to the ground.
- Taekwondo: From Korea. Similar to karate but more emphasis on kicking.
- Muay Thai: From Thailand. Based on striking your opponent with fists as well as elbows, shins and knees.
- Aikido: From Japan. Based on defeating an opponent without harming them.
- Jiu-Jitsu: From Brazil. Based on defeating larger opponents by fighting them on the ground.
Visit our local Martial Arts provider pages on The Sports Hub links below and find the provider who suits you best today!